Can I be/have a caregiver for a medical marijuana patient in Montana?

Yes, medical marijuana patients in Montana can have a caregiver, but Montana has all but disbanded both the caregiver program and distribution programs and replaced them with the Provider/Marijuana Infused Products Provider (MIPP) program.

Caregivers must be aged 21 or over. The caregiver fills out their own application form, and must be listed on the patient’s application form as well. See the Montana Department of Health's Medical Marijuana Cardholder information page as well for more information.

Minors must fill out a Minor Registry Application Packet, which must be requested from the department by contacting the Department of Public Health and Human Services, Licensure Bureau, 2401 Colonial Drive, P.O. Box 202953, Helena, MT 59620-2953.

Due to changes with SB 423, all caregivers must now register as “providers.” It’s imperative that growers and caregivers complete the necessary paperwork to become a registered provider.

The application cost for a Montana caregiver Application is $25. Here's the Physician Statement for Minors, which will need to be filled out, with a second physician's signature being needed. Proof of legal guardianship is needed. Acceptable documents include birth certificate or court approved document.