Yes, medical marijuana patients in New York can have a caregiver. To apply as a caregiver, follow this process:
- The individual must be designated by the certified patient within the Medical Marijuana Data Management System before the designated caregiver can register with the Department.
- The designated caregiver must log in to https://my.ny.gov/, click the "Health Applications" icon, and then click the "Medical Marijuana Data Management System" link to register.
- Designated caregivers who do not have an NY.gov account will need to click the "Don't have an Account?" button to create a personal NY.gov ID first. For step-by-steps instructions on how to create a My.NY.gov account, click here for instructions. For step-by-step instructions on how to register as a caregiver, select the "HELP" link within the Medical Marijuana Data Management System or click here for instructions.
- There is a $50 application fee; but the Department is currently waiving the $50 fee for all patients and their designated caregivers.
- Once a caregiver’s registration is approved, the Department will issue a temporary registry identification card which may be used in conjunction with a government-issued photo identification to purchase approved medical marijuana products while the caregiver awaits his/her registry identification card (ID card) in the mail. Registrations expire when the certification that was issued by the practitioner expires. Patient and caregivers must re-register each time a new certification is issued that has a different PC1 number in the upper-right hand side of the certification.
Designated caregivers obtaining medical marijuana on behalf of their patient(s) must bring their caregiver registry identification card and the patient's certification to the dispensing facility.
Designated caregivers can also access a temporary registry ID card after completing their caregiver registration and being approved. The designated caregiver will follow the same steps as a patient to retrieve and print the temporary registry ID card. This does not apply to facilities that have been designated as a caregiver.
A Designated Caregiver can print a temporary registry ID card for the patient(s) they are a registered caregiver for by logging into their https://my.ny.gov account.
- Select "Health Applications," and then the "Medical Marijuana Data Management System." Click on the three white lines on the top-left side of the screen.
- Select the "My Patient's Temporary Card" option from the drop-down menu. Select the blue link to open and print your temporary ID card. If you are also the patient's proxy, you may need to select "Switch to Caregiver Portal" before this option will be available.