Before you start, have these supporting documents ready:
- Your certification from the Leafwell physician in PDF form
- Proof of residency (and proof of residency for a parent or legal guardian if applicable)
- ID (and ID for the parent or legal guardian if applicable)
- Must be a government-issued ID Card
- Proof of age
- Birth certificate or government-issued ID
- Note: A valid Virginia Driver’s License can act as proof of residency and ID combined.
Getting Your Virginia Medical Marijuana Card
- Go to the Virginia State website - https://www.license.dhp.virginia.gov/apply/ - and either log into an existing account or create a new one by clicking “Register a Person”
- To create a new account, you’ll need your social security number
- Select Initial Application from the left menu then on the Application for Licensure screen:
- Select Pharmaceutical Processing from the Profession dropdown.
- If you are the patient (individual) applying for registration, select Registered Patient for Cannabis Oil from the License Type dropdown.
- Select Initial Application from the Obtained By dropdown
- Click the Start Application button.
- If you are the parent or legal guardian of the patient who is a minor or incapacitated adult, select Registered Parent/Guardian of Cannabis Oil from the License Type dropdown. Once you have completed this application you must also complete the Registered Patient For Cannabis Oil application for the patient. The primary parent/guardian of the minor or incapacitated adult who resides with the patient must complete this.
- Select Initial Application from the Obtained By dropdown. Click the Start Application button.
- Complete the registration process and pay the fee: $50 for patients; $25 for parent/legal guardian.
- Scan and email, fax, or mail the following documentation to the board at the address below for the application to be considered complete:
- A copy of the Doctor’s certification from Leafwell;
- Proof of your residency and proof of residency of a parent or legal guardian, if applicable, such as a government-issued identification card or tax receipt;
- Proof of identity, and if the patient is a minor, proof of identity of the parent or legal guardian in the form of a government-issued identification card;
- Proof of your age in the form of a birth certification or other government-issued identification.
- NOTE: A valid Virginia Driver’s License will fulfill the requirements for proof of age, identity, and residency.
Virginia Board of Pharmacy Perimeter Center
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300 Henrico, VA 23233
Fax: (804) 527-4472
- Should the Board of Pharmacy require any additional information to process the application, you will be notified by email. Please ensure that you enter your email address accurately into the application.
- Please allow 30 days for the Board of Pharmacy to process the registration application. Once issued, the registration card will be mailed to the address listed on your application.
- Legally purchase medical marijuana products
- Once you have received your registry ID card you are ready to purchase products from a licensed medical cannabis pharmacy.
- To purchase medical cannabis, you must bring your medical cannabis card and a valid form of photo identification, such as a driver’s license, with you to the pharmacy.